Thursday, March 03, 2011

Ashley Percival:
Fine Art Illustrator

The universal art scene is kindly welcoming England's very own wildlife inspired artist, Ashley Percival. This recent Falmouth University grad is making her impression on the world by drawing what inspires her most; wildlife forest creatures! At the young age of 22, it's easy to empathize with Ms. Percival's admiration for colour and detail because her work is so unique, and original. You will soon be able to see Percival's work in an upcoming publication of a limited edition art book based upon a collective group of artist from California all the way to New York. She is also nominated for the, I HEART DESIGN Award for best illustrator. (See how to vote below) Here at The Barvar Dear, we had the incredible pleasure of interviewing Ms. Percival, and here is what she had to say:


Barvar Dear: Where do you get the inspiration for the cute little creatures you create?

Ashley: I have always had a passion for drawing since I was small. I get most of my inspiration from wildlife and nature and some of it from my imagination. I normally get inspiration at random times, so I try to write my ideas down, I’m always thinking of new ideas.

Barvar Dear: I’ve noticed in your work that you use quite a bit of detail; how long does it usually take you to complete a picture?

Ashley: I like to use a lot of colour, texture and detail in my illustrations. My work varies a lot in the amount of time it takes to complete a piece. Some of my illustrations with more detail can take about a day to complete, others can take a few hours.

Barvar Dear: When creating a little masterpiece, do you listen to any kind of music? If so, what would we expect to hear?

Ashley: I don’t always listen to music when drawing, but when I do I like it to be relaxing, recently I have been listen to an Icelandic band called Sigur Ros. Listening to this band really helps me relax and come up with ideas.


Barvar Dear: You have a very unique drawing style; who are some of your favourite artists?

Ashley: I love many different types of art, I recently visited a gallery in London and saw some of Van Gogh’s work and was just amazed by the colours.

I also love the work of Dali and Paul Klee, I really like artists that show the beauty of nature in their work and I like quite surreal art, colour is also very important to me.

Barvar Dear: How do you see yourself as an artist?

Ashley: I see myself as an illustrator and also a fine artist that takes a creative and surreal approach to illustrating wildlife. I think my style and subject matter has a broad audience. In my work I try to show the beauty of nature in a fun and unique way.

Barvar dear: What do you do in your spare time when you aren’t drawing little animals?

Ashley: In my spare time I go on lots of adventures around Cornwall with my camera photographing the landscape and wildlife, this is where I get most of my inspiration. Being interested in wildlife and nature I really want to travel the world to see the different species that will inspire me for my artwork.

Barvar Dear: Where do you see yourself as an artist in the future? Do you think you will still be drawing little animals?

Ashley: In the future I hope to be a successful illustrator who inspires people, I would love to see my work in galleries, books, and on clothing.

To shop & Purchase: www.etsy.com/shop/ashleypercival

Blog: http://www.ashleypercival.tumblr.com/

To vote for Ashley Percival: http://blog.roseflash.ca/2011/02/i-heart-design-awards-nominees-best-illustrator/

-The Barvar Dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment